5th Gen Mods, Accessories, Install, Off-Road, TRD

5th Gen 4Runner Grille Kits & Grille Mods

Updated 12/15/20 / Read Time: 5 mins

Smoked Out (Blacked Out) Raptor Light Kit for 5th Gen 4Runner

Grille Mods, Raptor Light Mods & TRD Pro Grille Kit Options on the 5th Generation 4Runner

The list below should give you a good place to start when exploring aftermarket grille kits.

Jump To:

We have a wide variety of grille mods to choose from. With the change in body style from the 4th Gen to the 5th Gen, Toyota opened up room for improvements, especially in the TRD Pro department.

You can choose a grill kit with a hidden light bar on the top row or lower row, dual-mounted hidden light bars, replacement mesh grille kits, raptor light kits, raptor light pods, hidden winch mounts, color-matched TRD Pro grille kits, and so much more. There many options for accessories, add-ons, and additional functionality when it comes to your 5th Gen 4Runner grille.

Some of the most popular options:

• TRD Pro Grille Kit
  • Raptor light kits for TRD Pro
  • Raptor light kits for SR5, Trail, and TRD OR
  • Raptor light kit for limited
  • Hidden 32″ light bar kits
  • Hidden 20″ light bar kits
  • Hidden top row grille with two light bars (SR5, Trail, TRD OR)
  • Hidden lower row grille with one light bar (TRD Pro)
  • Hidden lower dual row light bar kits
  • Hidden winch mount grille kits
  • Behind the grille light bar brackets
  • Anytime camera additions
  • Replacement mesh grille kits
  • Grille kit emblems
  • Grille kit heritage decals

TRD Pro Grille Kit

4Runner Grille With White Letters (TRD Pro Grille)

Featured: @Mister_elguea with white TRD PRO Grille Kit from TSO

Probably the most popular Front End Grill kit for a 5th Gen 4Runner is the TRD Pro conversion. These TRD Pro kits are readily available all over the Internet (eBay, Amazon, Etsy, and tons of Shopify resellers) however most of them or knockoff versions. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re bad, they’re just not original Toyota quality Parts. The factory Toyota TRD Pro Grill kit is around $600 while you can get a knockoff version for $100 – $120 and sometimes even less.

Most companies that are reselling these grills often pair the grille with a set of raptor lights. Companies like CarTrimHome.com, ToyotaProShop.Store and Overland Depot are well-known for being resellers of knock off TRD Pro kits with raptor lights.

We have personally tested the Car Trim Home version along with the Toyota Pro Shop version and for what it’s worth, they are actually pretty nice. All these kits more or less come from the same manufacturing facility in China and you really can’t get the manufacturing process wrong on this. There’s one main trim piece that covers the factory cross-section and then the TOYOTA letters. If you are debating on what company to go with, I wouldn’t debate for too long as the quality seems to be all about the same.

Trail Standard Off-Road is one company that makes custom TRD Pro kits (pictured above). If you reach out to Trail standard off-road, you can get a TRD Pro kit with no letters, in white color, and many other options.

OE Toyota Grille Kit:

Generic TRD Pro Grille

• TRD Pro Grille with Upper Grille (full kit): Check Price
  • TRD Pro Grille with Marker Lights: Check Price
  • Blackout Marker Lights: Check Price
  • Trail Standard Off-Road TRD style Grille: Check Price

Other Grille Mods

Adventure Motors Grille Letters by TSO

Pictured: @AdventureMotors with a custom grille kit from TSO

The other grille mods below are great options for our front-end but keep in mind, some of these are not compatible with aftermarket front bumpers. In that link, you will find a list of full-length and low profile bumper options.

Keep in mind that when you are shopping for an aftermarket grille kit or bumper that sometimes the two may not be compatible. For the most part, though, the TRD Pro Grille kit is compatible with most if not all aftermarket bumpers. Many owners convert their SR5, Trail Edition, and TRD off-road models over to the TRD Pro Grille kit so most of the fabrication companies design around the TRD Pro Grille.

In any case, take a look at some other grille mod ideas below.

Aftermarket Grille Mods

Which Grill Kit is right for you?

Behind the Grille Light Bar Kit for the 4Runner

Pictured: @faretta4r – Cali Raised Light Bar Bracket

Depending on your style, you have plenty of options to choose from. From the wide variety of TRD Pro grill kits to the extensive lineup you have for hidden light bar options, you can really make your 4Runner your own.

Take your time and do your research before jumping into anything right away. First, you want to decide how you are going to use your truck. Whether that’s going to be on the street only or off-road a lot, this should have an impact on what you decide.

With most of our builds, we are never finished. We may get started with a hidden behind the grill light bar and then later add a full-width front bumper that would then delete that hidden light bar. All I’m saying is that if you intend on adding a full-width front bumper in the future or a bumper that is not compatible with a hidden light bar or a specific grille kit then you may not want to buy it in the first place.

Think about the future of your build and where you see your 4 Runner in the next one to two years or even 5 to 10 years and then make a decision based on that. Don’t jump on the first mod you see because it looks cool. Again, take your time, and do your research.

Good luck choosing a grille kit for your build.

Questions or Comments? Leave them below!

CHRIS CORTEZ
CHRIS CORTEZ
December 10, 2020 1:12 pm

i have one for sale i just traded my 4runer in and removed from vehicle. i have the insert and the upper grill insert 9492353266 250.00

Fernando
Fernando
October 9, 2020 1:09 pm

Does anyone know where to get the bug deflector on that withe 4 runner?

michael kometer
michael kometer
August 4, 2020 3:21 pm

can someone tell me the lift and tires on that red 4runner, and if any body trimming was need?

WOOD
WOOD
July 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Has anyone figured out /made a way to move the TSS sensor, im getting a full sized C4 off road overland bumper and need to move it to the upper grill area.

Glenn
Glenn
March 1, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if you could tell me the size of tires and wheel offset on the white 4Runner at the top of this post.

Thanks.

glenn

Glenn
Glenn
March 2, 2020 5:34 am

Thanks for the response Brenan. That’s the best stance I’ve seen without a long travel kit.

cr7sakib
cr7sakib
November 26, 2019 8:40 am

Anyway to install the PRO grill on a 2020 TRD Off Road Premium? The 2020 grill has extra trim across the Toyota emblem.

Leo
Leo
September 12, 2019 10:18 am

Does anyone know where to get the (1) Amber signal lights in the Proline Bumper (2) the Red caliper under the bumper (not the red shackle). Picture here >> https://www.screencast.com/t/XG6bVzpmxhqw

Skye
Skye
August 25, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello, so in the shrockworks front bumper post with the 2013 and older rig, do you know how they got the grill lights on the front. It has 4 Amber lights in the Toyota logo thing. It looks sick and I’d love to do that. Is it as simple as drilling 4 holes or is it a purchased modification.

Caleb
Caleb
July 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Hey I’m looking for a low pro front bumper on my 19 Trd premium, but not really wanting to cut the body if I dont have to. Seeing as I’m still paying on it. Any suggestions would be awsome. I have looked at bull bars but wonder if they really can protect your rig.

Caleb
Caleb
July 18, 2019 5:22 am

Thank you for the input, I been doing more research and I am thinking of going with sso lo pro bumper. Not going to like cutting the body but will like the better protection. Thank you again

Rick
Rick
June 25, 2019 9:15 pm

I have a 2018 4Runner TRD off road. I want to buy the SSO slimline hybrid bumper because your ad says no cutting of the grill required. All of the videos I have watched however say the bumper must be cut. Please clarify this issue for me so I can buy one.
Thanks

Glen
Glen
January 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Anyone ever put two lightweight driving lights (ie; Hella Halogen 550) straight into the stock bumper? I know its not so solid but would it handled just two lightweight lights?

Nick
Nick
January 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi. Will the TRD Pro Grill fit a 2013 5th gen? Thanks in advance!

Pete
Pete
December 26, 2018 10:33 am

Does anyone out there know what the optimal RPM for that 6 banger is on the highway. At 73-75 on level ground the engine runs at a little over 2000 RPM increase the speed and that 6 banger goes up to near 3000 RPM. I think that is a little too much???
Unfortunately Toyota cannot import the 4 banger diesel that is very popular throughout the rest of the world… According to the Toyota reps Toyota will not import them into this country because of the California emission regulations.

Skye
Skye
December 25, 2018 9:19 pm

LOL, I just got finished with all of my Christmas stuff. Realized that others are probrably not done lol. Sorry, Have a merry Christmas !!!

Skye
Skye
December 25, 2018 9:18 pm

I’m sorry for bugging you here. But have you ever heard of someone doing an entire front conversion from a 2010 to a 2016-19 ? I’d love to do something like this but have no idea what it would entail. I’m guessing the stuff isn’t just interchangeable ? Maybe ? Thanks

Christopher L Robinson
Christopher L Robinson
April 6, 2019 4:15 pm
Reply to  Skye

Skye,

I have almost completed a 2016 Limited to TRD Pro front bumper swap on my vehicle. You are looking at a major expense, unless yoi find a complete bumper assembly, and then you will likely still need additional parts. For me it was essentially the bumper bar and forward, including thw radiator shrouds, and fender liners…

Mary
Mary
December 5, 2018 12:08 pm

very helpfull info thanks

Ryan
Ryan
September 15, 2018 3:44 am

Where can I find the “TOYOTA” emblem like the one on the red 4runner above?

David G
David G
August 27, 2018 12:15 am

Both the C4 and SSO websites say you do in fact have to cut into the grill

Tiffany Wells
Tiffany Wells
August 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Hello!! I am new here and completely confused. I have a 2018 4runner trd off road premium. Shortly after getting and living in a highly populated deer area I hit one before we got a brush guard on. of course busting my front bumper. It is currently duct taped up (so sad) We have been looking at instead of paying the insurance premium and just getting the factory bumper back and then buying a brush guard, to just buy a stronger bumper/guard kit. I am lost at deciding and don’t know exactly everything that I need to get (really smart,… Read more »

Chris
Chris
July 17, 2018 4:34 pm

I just purchased a 2016 4Runner Limited. One month later, I got hit by a bear. (Seriously!) There were certain features that attracted me to the Limited, but I am not attached to the front bumper chrome. It is ironic how much these accents cost. Honestly, before this incident, I never really considered altering a vehicle from it’s original design or realized how frequently these type of modifications are done. I have the dilemma of “downgrading” to a Base or TRD bumper or maintaining the original Limited OEM trim. I am concerned about potentially devaluing a newer year vehicle by… Read more »

Pete
Pete
July 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Two days after installing a Weather Tech bumper guard on my 2-week old 4Runner I got rear-ended by a GMC 2500. I was stopped at a light. The bump was severe enough to jolt my wife & I into our seats. When I looked up the guy still had his cell phone in front of his face. Much to our amazement, the bumper guard worked. No damages! The other drives statement was priceless…”I need to get one of those”…$38 @ Amazon. My question is what can I get to put in the front of the 4Runner to offer some protection… Read more »

Jordan #Thayer1003
Jordan #Thayer1003
April 7, 2018 2:07 am

My limited is limited… I’m looking to start the mutation of my 5th gen 4Runner Limited into the off-road vehicle it wants to be starting with the facelift. Any specific thoughts on front-end granny smashers or bull bars to modify my front end?

Chris
Chris
July 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi Jordan,

Wondering what mods you are considering or have done on your 5th Gen Limited front bumper? Any photos? Please see my post below.

Tim Shapley
Tim Shapley
March 15, 2018 6:00 am

Brenan,
Thanks for the comment. I’m now leaning toward the Expedition One bumper. I’ll keep the forum updated and let everyone know the results. If anyone else has insight into this please comment.
Much appreciated,
Tim

Chris
Chris
July 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Reply to  Tim Shapley

Hi Pete,

Wondering what front end mods you are considering or have done on your Limited? Please see my post below.

Pete
Pete
August 2, 2018 6:21 pm
Reply to  Chris

Hey Chris, I haven’t done anything to the 4 runner yet. Trying to find a front end conversion or addition that will give me some protection. Before we left for Hawaii I checked some prices on some of the front end grills. Seems all I found were ones that according to the salesman “look good but don’t really provide any protection”. Plus they were very expensive. Anyone with any good ideas let me know. By the by for all you guys out there the view of the volcanic activity on Hawaii made it the cruise of a lifetime. Pictures do… Read more »

Tim Shapley
Tim Shapley
March 9, 2018 10:34 am

I’m considering an ARB Summit bumper or similar model with full grill protection for my 18’ TRD Off-road Premium. I’m concerned that the side bars will obstruct and diminish the amazing headlights. Is this a valid concern? Have you heard of anyone noticing a difference in their lights because of these types of bumpers ?

craig
craig
January 4, 2018 5:05 pm

Will the 2014+ TRD Pro front end (grill / headlights) fit a 2011.

Kelyn
Kelyn
April 6, 2019 3:17 pm

I’d love to do this too to my 2012. The C4 front end with the 2014 + lights would be great

5th Gen SR5 Window Tint Tinted5th Gen 4Runner Level Kit