5th Gen Mods, Accessories, Install, Off-Road

Spidertrax Wheel Spacers 5th Gen 4runner

Last Updated on

Spidertrax Wheel Spacers 5th Gen 4Runner

Spidertrax Wheel Spacers (1.25″) – Wider stance on 5th Gen 4Runner

If you are looking to push your wheels out a bit further, and widen your stance, the Spidertrax Wheel Spacers are a good option. There is a reason why these spacers are the go-to option. Spidertrax spacers are a quality-made product backed by a customer-first company.

WHS-007 (Add two to your cart)

They come in pairs of 2 (one box) and you need 4 (two boxes).

Whether you are going to install a leveling kit or a suspension system, spacers are something you should consider. After a lift, you start to push your lower control arms down, which pulls your wheels/ tires closer to the body. With spacers, you can push your wheels back out to keep a consistent look.

Once installed, these will give your truck a wider stance. It is also important to note that these might actually increase rubbing in your wheel well. Do your research full before committing to a purchase. Depending on the tire size you are running, and the specs on your wheel will depend on the amount of rubbing if any you will have after installing spacers.

In most cases, you will have rubbing after you install spacers. After you add new tires, you will need to go through the common trimming and cutting in your wheel wells. After you finish trimming everything and solve your rubbing issues, you may look at spacers. After spacers, your rubbing might start all over again.

Wider Wheels Vs. Taller Wheels

With a wider wheel, your rubbing is going to be more severe than a taller wheel. 295/70R17s are going to cause more rubbing than 285/70R17s because they are 0.55″ wider. Also, 33/12.5/17s are .9″ wider than the 295/70s, so these are very wide compared to the 285/70s. Wider means more contact and more rubbing, usually always. That means the tire will contact the fender liners, body or body mount sooner and deeper. Taller wheels like a 285/75R17 are still going to rub but in most cases, it will be less than a 295/70 tire but not always. Factors like make, model, suspension, coils, and UCAs also come into play. You can use the tire calculator to check tire size and then use your best judgment on the size you want to run vs. the amount of trimming you are willing to do.

How does this affect wheel spacers and rubbing?

The wider your wheel, the more rubbing you will have, in theory. Once you add another 1.25″ to the exterior of the well, you are pushing your entire wheel and tire further outside of the well. This will usually make contact with parts of your fenders sooner.

Again, this all depends on the size wheel and tire you have mounted. If you like the wider looking stance, you will make it work.

Hubcentric Spacers for 5th Gen 4Runner

Wheel Spacers for 4Runner

These spacers are hub-centric. The size is 1.25″ and they have designed for our exact bolt pattern. After installation, you should have an additional 1.25″ of space between your brake rotors and wheel.

Alignment? You don’t need to get an alignment after installing. To each their own though. If you feel like it, go for it.

Reasons You Might Need Spacers

1. Stance/Appearance: This may be one of the most popular reasons why people add pacers. By installing a set of these, it will push your wheels out of your wheel well to give your 4Runner a much more aggressive stance. This all comes down to personal preference. Some people like the pushed out wheel look and some don’t. I personally did not for the longest time, but it grew on me.
  2. Space/Clearance: By getting new aftermarket brake calipers, you may have to push your wheel away from the brake caliper. This all depends on what brand of brakes you get. Some require spacers but most do not.
  3. Offset/Correction: If you have a leveling kit or suspension lift, you may need wheel spacers. Because you are lifting your 4Runner, that will mean pulling your wheels closer to your wheel well, thus causing rubbing. This happens because your UCA (Upper Control Arm) and LCA (Lower Control Arm) are facing further downwards as opposed to outwards, bringing in your wheel and tire. Spacers might help by pushing your wheel and tire back out away from the wheel well. This all depends on application though. In most cases, wheel spacers will cause more rubbing than before.
  4. Rubbing: Some people might think that installing a set of spacers will help prevent rubbing. That is not necessarily the case. When you push your wheels/tires out more, that means they are going to be closer to the fender liners. To prevent rubbing on your inner wheel well liner, remove the inner liner screws, push the liner forward and re-screw your screws back in. This should fix any rubbing on the inner liner. There are also a few other areas that you can trim your wheel well if you are experiencing tire rubbing.

Cons of the Spidertrax Wheel Spacers

Some people are not fans of spacers simply because tire shops will not work on your truck. How can you solve this?

1. Don’t buy spacers
  2. Get a wheel with a larger negative offset
  3. Buy long travel suspension
  4. Find a tire shop that will work on your 4R

Hub-Centric and Offset

If you are going to buy a set, make sure they are hub-centric to your vehicle, and yes, this brand is hub-centric. Hub-centric means that the load you are putting on your wheels is not on the studs, and your wheel stays perfectly center.

Buying a set of wheel spacers is similar to buying a set of wheels with a negative offset. The negative offset on a wheel determines how far the wheel sticks out from the hub. Have you ever seen those big F250s with tires that are pushed out a couple feet from the actual body? Those are usually -50 to -100 offset wheels. The Fuel wheels on our 4Runner have a -6 offset. This is about normal for a 4Runner unless you want a super “bro” look. Then you want a 6″ lift with -50 offset wheels.

Spidertrax Spacers Installation

We will be updating this post with shots and more details about the Installation and the full on-road review along with the off-road review once we have them on. We have an Icon stage 2 Suspension being installed this weekend. After that gets installed, we will then throw on the spacers.

Spidertrax Wheel Spacers 5th Gen 4Runner

esteban a garza
esteban a garza
May 10, 2020 3:09 pm

Good afternoon! With the addition of the 1.25″ wheel spacers, is it necessary to change out the wheel studs to give better reach and grip for the lug nuts?

Ethan
Ethan
January 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Sounds like the only option is to stick with high-quality spacers from Spidertrax. I’ve read a lot about spacers breaking or falling off on the roads. Have to wonder, if installed properly, is there any real worry about malfunction?

John
John
July 14, 2019 3:27 pm

Can you tell me how much offset I could get for new wheels that would be equal to adding the spacers? You mentioned -6 on your rig. The style wheel I’m looking at comes in 0mm or -12mm. I can’t decide what will get me to flush with the wheel well.
Thanks for your great website

Jess
Jess
July 14, 2019 5:19 pm
Reply to  John

Hey John, I run SCS 17 X 8.5 6 X 139.7 4.30″ -10mm. I have bfg ko2 285/70/17 and they are perfectly flush. Looks good. Trimming of bumper & mudflats needed, but no BMC… yet… Absolutely no need for spacers unless ya want them to stick out of the fenders.

Ralph Canul
Ralph Canul
May 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Hello my name is Ralph I have a 2012 4WD SR5. I recently added new rims and tires (285/70R17) to my stock suspension. At full flex the inner tire is rubbing the upper control arm. I’d like to add these spacers in order to eliminate this rubbing but after reading all the do’s and don’ts I may be creating more of a problem what do you think ? And thanks a ton for creating this very informative site!

Daniel
Daniel
May 13, 2019 8:33 pm
Reply to  Ralph Canul

Hi Ralph… first of all, let me say this… the spider traxx spacers are very high quality. I run a 2012 Trail Edition. I didn’t want to get into mods to heavily with a tire upgrade to 285s. So I jumped to 275s. I also had a lift and level kit installed. 1.5” on the rear and 2.5” on the front. I then had the wheel spacers installed. Prior to the wheel spacers I had zero rubbing. After the wheel spacers I had just a little rubbing on the front left interior fender while backing up and cranking to the… Read more »

Ralph
Ralph
May 14, 2019 7:08 am
Reply to  Daniel

Thanks a whole lot for responding this is very helpful information ! I’m going to go with a set of the thinnest spacers and see what happens before I try any kind of lift. I carry all kinds of flyfishing gear up top so the easier it is to access the better ! I’ll let you know how it turns out again thanks a lot !

Daniel
Daniel
January 13, 2019 2:18 am

Worked beautifully on my 2012 TE with Stock 17s , BFG 275/70/17, the Daytec lift and level kit 2.5 “ front and 1.5” rear. I had rubbing on the inside front fender liner in reverse while turning. 5 minute fix. Pulled the two screws on each side, pushed the liner forward, screwed it back in…. bam …. what a sexy set of upgrades. Slick. No hacking and slashing required. 275/70 KO2 did the trick in combo with the daytec lift and level and these spacers. Install shop commented on the quality and tolerances of these spacers. Great recommendations on this… Read more »

David
David
August 27, 2018 5:40 pm

I have an OME 3″ susp lift on my 2016 4Runner. I added spacers but got the death wobble between 40mph to 60mph. It is a shake/wobble in the steering that vibrates the whole car, had to take them off. HOw can I prevent that from happening?

Coy
Coy
January 9, 2019 3:10 pm
Reply to  David

Hi David,

I had the same problem after installing a ToyTec 3” lift on my ‘16 4R. Mine was between 50-60 though. I took my wheels and loosened up the spacers and retorqued them to 85ft lbs. Then I put the wheels back on and made sure the wheels were seated properly and torqued them to 85ft lbs. after I did that, no more issue. Another note…I am not running the differential drop on mine either. If you have it installed, it should only help the problem.

Rafael P.
Rafael P.
May 21, 2019 5:24 pm
Reply to  Coy

Hi, is it safe to tow with these spacers?

Daniel
Daniel
May 21, 2019 5:33 pm
Reply to  Rafael P.

I tow multiple times each week using these.

Rafael
Rafael
May 21, 2019 6:21 pm
Reply to  Daniel

Thanks Daniel. I just installed these on my runner and was worried I needed to take them off to tow. I will be towing a 4k lbs camping trailer and wanted to make sure.

Thanks again!

Ryan Gatewood
Ryan Gatewood
August 2, 2018 4:23 pm

So, I was going to get new wheels anyhow after my lift, so if i get a negative offset wheel, there will be no need for spacers? But possibly still the issue of rubbing, which I may also have installing a spacer on the stock wheel.

Vlad
Vlad
July 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi Brenan,

I have a question about the spacers with the following setup: trd rims with BFG ko2 275/70/17 and a king 3 inch lift. I assume there should be no rubbing but not sure. Thanks in advance.

Jess
Jess
November 5, 2018 12:54 am
Reply to  Vlad

Hey, just curious if you ever added spacers to your 4r? I have similar setup and was hoping for some insight-
Thanks,
Jess

Vlad
Vlad
November 5, 2018 1:37 am
Reply to  Jess

No I did not, I actually went complely different. I went with Falken 285/70/17 and had rubbing on mud flaps when turning my wheel all the way so if you add spacers you will have rubbing.

Nate
Nate
June 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi I’m new to the 4runner scene. I wanted to know if I installed a day star 2.2/1.5 leveling kit on my 2017 sr5 4runner and I get the spacer above if it will rub or do I have enough clearance? I’m running stock tires and rims

Dustin
Dustin
February 23, 2018 8:56 pm

I am anxious to know the results of spidertrax spacers. Have you guys completed the project?

Brad
Brad
January 25, 2018 6:04 pm

I currently am running 275/70/R17 BFG KO2’s on a stock 16′ Trail Edition w/out KDSS and have no rub at full flex. Could the Spidertrax spacers cause me to rub by widening my stance? I probably wont do any body modifications or fender liner mods until I lift it and put 33″-34″ tires on it.

Vince
Vince
January 7, 2018 7:04 pm

I see that the link to amazon shows sale for one pair. Obviously the sizes are the same front and rear at 1.25 correct?

Steven Pineda
Steven Pineda
January 7, 2018 4:49 am

Hi my name is Steven I have 2018 4runner Off-road and I want to put Spidertrax wheelspacers 1.25 just only for stance and looks but my question is does it rub when im driving on the streets or minor offroading?

John Berkley
John Berkley
January 28, 2018 7:01 pm

I just put on spacers i have 3″ toytec lift with diff drop and total chaos uca’s it rubbed a little before the spacers. After the spacers it rubbed alot more. Tires i run are nitto ridge grapplers in 285/70/17

Vlad
Vlad
July 29, 2018 2:37 pm
Reply to  John Berkley

Hey John, where did you have your rubbing?

Seth
Seth
November 28, 2018 12:49 am
Reply to  John Berkley

Thanks for leaving that post, I have the same set up and do want more rubbing

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x

34" Toyo Open County AT 2 Tires (285/75R17)