5th Gen Mods, Accessories, Install, TRD

TRD Pro Grill Swap 5th Gen 4Runner

Last Updated on

TRD Pro 4Runner Grill Swap Kit 5th Gen (2016)

TRD Pro 4runner Grill Swap 5th Gen Before and After

Step by Step installation of the TRD Pro Grill for the 5th Gen 4Runner

Well, this was an event that I did not have the opportunity to attend, however, I will enjoy writing the post for it. The guys did a TRD Pro Grill Swap on a 2016 4Runner.

All in all, the instructions were easy on this accessory. I was done in approximately 30 minutes. This is one of the most common TRD Pro add-ons that can be installed with little to no automotive experience.

Part Numbers TRD Pro Grille

• PZ323-35056 – GARNISH, FR BUMPER
  • PZ327-35053 – GRILLE, RADIATOR, UPPER
  • The Whole Kit: Check Today’s Price

The process is so easy, that you can do it with a small flat head screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, and a 10mm socket/wrench.

For installation, you can do this with one person but it helps to have two. The kit comes with a 5-page detailed step by step instruction sheet and utilizes the existing hardware and OEM parts. This upgrade gives your 4Runner the TRD Pro look which is quite clean and rather classy in my opinion.

The TRD Pro Grill Swap Kit

• Ratchet Wrench 10 mm
  • Screwdriver Phillips
  • Clip Remover (or, tiny flathead screwdriver)
  • Blue Masking Tape
  • Lint Free Cloth’s
  • 3m  GPACK or 3m Prep Solvent
  • Instruction Manual

Just keep in mind when installing this kit that you don’t damage any of the parts during the process because you will be using the OEM parts to put the grill back together and back on.

Step 1: Open Hood and Remove Clips

Step 1: Open Hood and Remove Clips

Open the hood and remove the 13 radiator cover clips as indicated in the image and then the radiator support cover.

To remove the push tabs, just press down and then pull them out. Once all the clips are removed you can extract the radiator support cover. Do not misplace the clips/ push tabs, you will be reusing them.

Step 2: Remove Parts and The Grill

TRD Pro 4runner Grill Swap 5th Gen - Step 2 - Tape

To avoid damage on the 4Runner, attach the blue masking tape around grill section that you will be removing, as well as the opposite side. This will aid in preventing scratches or rub marks during the removal process. Remove the two clips that attach the grill to the body and one 10mm bolt that is located in the center as indicated in the image. Then pull the grill to remove it. This was by far the hardest part of the install. We didn’t want to break the grill and it was quite tough to remove! Do not misplace the parts you’ve removed because you’ll be reusing them.

Step 3: Remove Grill Parts out of the bracket

TRD Pro 4runner Grill Swap 5th Gen - Step 3 - Screws

Remove the four screws from the bracket with a phillips screwdriver as indicated in the image and then remove the bracket from the grill. Remove the six remaining screws as indicated in the image and then the grill housing from the grill. Do not misplace the parts again that you removed from the grill because we will be reusing them.

Step 4: Assembly of the New Grill Parts

Secure the grill bracket to the new grill with the four screws. Secure the new grill onto the grill housing by lining up the snaps on the outer edges. Once aligned probably secure with the six remaining screws. Place a towel or something soft below the grill housing to prevent scratches.

Step 5: Prep for Installation – Grill Garnish

Prep for Installation Grill Garnish

To avoid damage on the 4Runner when installing the garnish, attach the blue masking tape at the positions indicated. Degrease the area that the new garnish will be attaching to.  After degreasing the areas do not touch them.

Step 6: Preparation of Attaching the Garnish

There are six adhesive strips on the garnish, four on the front and two on the top. Completely remove the four on the front of the garnish. The two on the top are partially removed. by pulling the adhesive back a few inches and pulling them up and over the top past the ribs and adhere to the top with blue masking tape.

We found it best to find the center of the garnish and the opening where the garnish will be placed. We marked those with a center line on a piece of blue tape. This gave us an easier target to get the garnish centered.

Step 7: Applying the Garnish

Center Align TRD Pro Grill Garnish

Line up the two center marks by eye the best you can and slide the garnish on. Apply minimum pressure to attach keeping pressure on the blue tape as you don’t want to lose it. Peel off the liner of the two-sided adhesive tape. Be careful when you pull the liners off as we broke one and had to use needle nose pliers to grab the broken end. We found it best to slightly lift the garnish to relieve some pressure when removing the liners from the tape. Then, crimp the garnish to the front bumper.

Step 8: Installation of the TRD Pro Grill

Installation of the 5th Gen TRD Pro 4runner Grill

The grill clicks together with the front bumper in all eight positions. Secure the upper end of the grill with the clips and screw in bolt as indicated in the image. Peel off all the masking tape.

Step 9: Place the radiator cap support cover

Place the radiator support cover on, then clip it down with the 13 clips.

TRD Pro 4runner Grill Swap Final

Installation Complete!

Recommended Posts
Andy
Andy
March 18, 2020 11:24 am

I just installed mine. I strictly followed the alignment based on the indentions on the top of garnish, with the grill. My garnish is now off center, one side of the garnish is pushed all the up against the grill surround, and there is a big gap on the other side. Could i remove the garnish and try to re install it with new 3m tape? Or would you recommend taking this to a body shop at this point?

Josh
Josh
June 12, 2020 2:59 pm
Reply to  Andy

Did you figure this out? I did the same thing

Andy
Andy
June 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Reply to  Josh

Sorry for the delay. The email went to my spam folder!
I took a hair dryer and heated up the garnish piece and peeled it off. I bought some 3m take from an auto store and replaced the tape and reset it.

Jeff
Jeff
June 25, 2020 4:42 am
Reply to  Andy

Hi there. Did your readjustment come out perfect? I just installed my OEM Pro grill too and did a test fit by lining up the notches on the grill and garnish…I noticed that one side was closer than the other side. I moved it over a bit and was pleased. After pressing on it it must have shifted ever so slightly as one side has an extra mm wider gap than the other….but definitely not like how you had it originally with one side flush against the grill surround. I know they are supposed to have a gap but it… Read more »

Last edited 18 days ago by Jeff
Andy
Andy
June 25, 2020 7:15 am
Reply to  Jeff

Mine did not come out perfect, but i can live with it. i think a better alignment gauge is in the center of the garnish, along the top edge, there are two bits of plastic that stick out. These two bits of plastic line up with the semi circular indent where the toyota logo sits with the stock grill. If you line those bits of plastic up with the slot, you come pretty close.

Jeff
Jeff
June 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Reply to  Andy

Thank you for your reply. That is a good idea…ill do that if I do decide to readjust. The driver’s side gap is just a tad bigger than the passenger side gap. I actually picked a point and measured about a 1-2mm difference between the gaps. It’s not too bad…Im a perfectionist but I think I can live with it. It’s more noticeable when you a foot away from it.

Last edited 17 days ago by Jeff
Austin Walker
Austin Walker
March 5, 2020 1:02 pm

Would this work on a 2020 Trd off Road Premium? Also, what is a reliable source to order one from since Toyota won’t allow it anymore. Thank you!

CoachT
CoachT
February 5, 2020 11:59 pm

I have the 2013 SR5. Looking to upgrade the grille. Please help.:)

Ryan
Ryan
December 28, 2019 12:19 am

Is the 2020 4Runner Off Road Premium still 5th gen? Does anyone know how to switch out the grill on the 2020 Off Road Premium to the TRD Pro grill? Are the censors in the toyota logo? So is that an issue?

James
James
January 3, 2020 8:48 am
Reply to  Ryan

Yes the 2020 is 5th gen and for a 2020 TRD ORP this mod can be done.

For a 2020 4runner the process is the same as listed in the article, just use new (2020 version) grill parts that have a slight cutout for the TSS sensor.

The parts for 2020 are:

PZ323-35058
PZ327-35056

Good luck.

Ryan Burns
Ryan Burns
January 9, 2020 2:51 pm
Reply to  James

Thanks for the info. Just got my new 2020 TRD Off Road premium. Anyone know of a ladder system for the SIDE of the truck rear? One that doesn’t need to be bolted to the big metal rear bumper replacement??
Also, whats a good full length flat mesh rack, that will still allow my sunroof to open?

Wyatt
Wyatt
January 14, 2020 6:21 pm
Reply to  Ryan

Did you manage to figure out how to install the TRD pro grille on the off-road model? Toyota was saying it isn’t doable for 2020 but i’m not really buying it.

Tim
Tim
January 22, 2020 3:34 pm
Reply to  Wyatt

Looking for answers on this too.

Marc SMith
Marc SMith
February 4, 2020 3:09 pm
Reply to  Wyatt

We just finished installing the grille on a 2020 Offroad, you have to trim the piece as it slides over the TSS, and also the radiator upper support, wasnt that big of a deal.

Marc SMith
Marc SMith
February 4, 2020 3:10 pm
Reply to  Wyatt

Fat Bobs Garage

Ryan Burns
Ryan Burns
December 28, 2019 12:06 am

Should clarify, i’m asking about changing out the grills on the 2020 4Runner.

Ryan Burns
Ryan Burns
December 28, 2019 12:03 am

Is the 2020 4Runner still 5th gen? And anyone know how to change out the grill on a TRD off road to the TRD pro grill? I think the censors are in the toyota logo, so how is that going to work?

Jake
Jake
August 17, 2019 9:29 am

I know you said this will work on all 2014’s and up, but I’m trying to confirm that this will work fine on the Limited model as well.

Ray
Ray
November 16, 2019 12:49 pm

For what it’s worth, I spent the better part of the day fighting this and I’m not saying it can’t be done, but installing this on a 2017 Limited isn’t this straight forward. At this point, my thinking is that the chrome trim on the bumper (right below the logo) that this adheres to needs to be removed. Without removing it, it seems that the grill piece is too thick for this to adhere securely to the grill. If anyone has any thoughts on how to remove that trim or any other suggestions, I can use all the help I… Read more »

Scott
Scott
April 11, 2019 7:34 am

What about option grills for the 2010-2013 4Runners?

Ron
Ron
February 2, 2019 7:23 am

Can this grill replacement kit be used on a 2019 4runner Limited Nightshade edition front or strictly for the TRD models for replacement grills??

Jason Reece
Jason Reece
November 26, 2018 2:20 am

I know it says 2014+ so is this for all 5th generations? I also have a 2018 I’d love to do this to.

William Hutchison
William Hutchison
November 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Will this fit on 2018 TRD Off-Road??

Dave
Dave
August 16, 2018 4:35 pm

How does the matte finish on the garnish hold up to automatic car washed (with brushes?)

Paul
Paul
August 3, 2018 8:11 pm

Would I be able to apply this to a 2011 5th gen model?

Jay
Jay
July 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Would the kit you linked to work for a 2011 SR5?

Shaf
Shaf
May 29, 2018 8:47 pm

It would be nice to have a blackout kit for the “TOYOTA” replacement if the previous one was blacked-out. I like the complete blacked-out appearance, so this mod would make it much more appealing if one existed for the letters too. Also, I did not quite understand if the new TRD Pro grill needs to be painted to match the finish. In my case, I have the factory black for 2017 year and I also have a ceramic coating on the entire body. I am sure both need to be done to have a completely seamless look and feel.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x

5th Gen 4Runner Magnaflow ExhaustTRD Cold Air Intake (CAI) 5th Gen 4Runner Feature