5th Gen Mods, Install, Performance, TRD

TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI)

Updated 2/27/20 / Read Time: 5 mins

TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI) 5th Gen 4Runner

TRD Cold Air Intake (PTR03-89100)  Fits 2010 – 2018+ 4Runners

Part number (PTR03-89100) TRD (Toyota Racing Development) cold air intake system is a genuine OEM Toyota part and carries a factory warranty through Toyota parts of TRD USA.

The next up in competition would be the AFE or K&N.

TRD CAI Price:

5th Gen 4Runner TRD Intake

TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI) 5th Gen 4Runner - Filter and Box

Most of this post is going to be straight information on the actual intake specs. If you want to information from a true performance overview, check this page out.

Keep in mind that we already have a cold air intake on the 4Runner from the factory.

So why an aftermarket intake?

By bringing cooler, denser air into the engine, your 4Runner will run much cleaner and cooler.

This system features a low-restriction air filter that is housed in a special molding to keep air flowing tighter and cooler.

The TRD CAI is a great addition you can make when it comes to aftermarket engine parts and performance.

What the TRD Cold Air Intake Features

TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI) 5th Gen 4Runner - Service Filter

General Features

• 4.0L V-6 Engine
  • Emission Legal in all 50 states.
  • Dyno-Tested
  • Increase HP Gains
  • Increased Torque
  • Superior Power and Performance when coupled with Exhaust
  • Enhanced Airflow
  • Increase Fuel Efficiency
  • Reusable/Washable Air filter
  • High-Flow/Low Restriction
  • Vacuum Indicator that monitors filter Efficiency
  • Indicator for Service – vacuum indicator that indicates when the intake/ filter should be serviced.
  • 1 Year Toyota Warranty

Benefits of the TRD CAI

TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI) 5th Gen 4Runner - Filter and Box

• Lower restriction means more power and higher energy efficiency
  • High dust holding capacity means cleaner air to your engine and more power
  • Environmentally friendly, one filter for the life of your vehicle, simply clean and re-oil rather than replace
  • High heat resistance to extreme under hood environment
  • High-strength polyurethane seal material provides structural integrity for high load and vibration conditions
  • Designed using OEM parts for Maximum CO2 air filter housing
  • Surgical gauze filter media is supported by woven aluminum mesh to prevent pleat flutter and dirt migration
  • Contrasting colored oil ensures proper distribution

Increasing Horsepower

Adding a TRD CAI  will give you anywhere from 5-15 additional hp when installed and combined with other aftermarket accessories. If you are installing a CAI, you may also want to look at an exhaust system.

There are many other factors that go into producing more hp and they range from getting an aftermarket exhaust, cold air intake, air filters and of course a supercharger. The supercharger will obviously give you the biggest power increase.

The AFE Vs. TRD Cold Air Intake

COST

• aFe 54-81932 Magnum FORCE Stage-2: $500
  • TRD (PTR03-89100): $475

WHAT THEY SAY

• aFe produces 10 hp. 15 lbs. x ft. torque and outflows the factory intake by 34%.
  • TRD produces increase hp and torque (yeah, they don’t say much)

WHAT THEY SAY, EXACTLY

aFe: The housing features auxiliary inlet duct for better airflow as well as an attractive black aluminum cover that provides ready access to the filter for servicing. This system also features a heat-insulating molded plastic tube that replaces the stock intake tract and directs increased air flow with improved volumetric efficiency for maximum performance.

TRD: Developed using OE Engineering Information. In this case, that’s important because the mass airflow sensor – a critical component of the engine management system – is located in the intake area and must be accommodated in the design of the air intake.

WHAT SHOULD YOU BUY?

The general consensus is pretty close in a back and forth battle of which is the better intake. Most owners have either a TRD, aFe or K&N. It is a close battle between these. I think it comes down to personal preference on look and sound. All of these have a louder sound than stock, increase power, and generally work as advertised.

TRD CAI kit contents

• plastic nipple 5/8 of an inch
  • hose 5/32 of an inch ID X 20 inches
  • convoluted split loom 15″
  • Airbox clip
  • filter minder grommet
  • filter minder
  • nylon tie strap – treemount
  • Nylon tie strap 6″
  • bracket and wire harness
  • bowl
  • socket M4 by 0.7 x 8 mm
  • instructions

Recommended tools

• Blankets or fender covers
  • nut driver
  • 10 mm socket
  • 12 mm socket
  • quarter inch drive socket
  • quarter inch drive ratchet
  • quarter inch drive extension 6 inches long
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • screwdriver
  • Allen wrench 3 mm
  • torque wrench 0 to 120 feet pounds of torque
  • Glass cleaner
  • silicone spray lubricant

Emission Compliance

Emission Compliance Sticker - TRD Intake

UPDATE: See compliance sticker above. This came in from Blake and he had this to say:

“I didn’t even know it was compliant. I got the intake, installed it maybe a couple weeks ago, then yesterday another letter came from the dealer with a copy of the invoice that said the sticker was mailed separately, and it happened to be in that letter from the dealer. Didn’t ask for it, it just showed up from them.”

From the Original Post:

For 2010-2018+, Toyota has changed the emission compliance information on the CAI. A new process has been implemented by Toyota which means there is no longer a need for the emissions label which is typically included in the performance CAI for the 5th Gen and FJ cruisers.

We are located in California and will not be using an emissions compliant label. If your state requires an emissions compliant label, one may be ordered through Toyota dealer or the Toyota materials distribution center at 310-468-9800, or mdc@toyota.com.

The TRD CAI has received 50 state emissions compliance via the California Air Resources Board or CARB. Not all states require the emissions compliance label but TRD does recommend ordering one.

To receive the proper emissions compliance label for the TRD CAI please order MDC part number 00602–35120. Also, proof of ownership may be required, so you may need to prove that you bought the intake from an official distributor.

Dustin
Dustin
April 1, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi. Does this take up the same space as the stock intake? I’ve done the shrockworks Aux pump relocation to the passenger side firewall, and have a single ARB compressor there as well. I have a battery tray in the front pass side, and don’t want to cut into any of the space for those items. Actually hoping this might take up slightly less space, so there will be more space for the battery. Thanks!

Ron
Ron
December 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Hey Brenan since you’ve had the cai has it given you any problems? Like check engine light for example?

Jason Jardine
Jason Jardine
July 29, 2019 10:04 am

Just bought the TRD CAI from toyotapartsdeal.com for $398. Hope it fits on my 2019 TRD PRO!!! Also trying to get the CA CARB Sticker

Jason Jardine
Jason Jardine
August 3, 2019 8:40 am
Reply to  Jason Jardine

So just installed this in combo with the Sprint Booster… holy crap! A totally new machine. I’m use to a V8 so was a bit disappointed in the 4Runner at first getting on freeways etc. This made a world of difference. Next week is the Magnaflow Cat-Back and that should be all she needs. Thanks for all the great info here!

Spencer Skelton
Spencer Skelton
October 23, 2019 1:45 pm
Reply to  Jason Jardine

How is the power/MPG since you added the CAI and the cutback exhaust? Was it worth it? Trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger… I have a 2016 4Runner with toytec suspension lift and 33’s. Looking to add a little extra juice

Chuck
Chuck
October 23, 2019 1:52 pm

I only added the MagnaFlow catback, didn’t pull the trigger on the CAI b/c it seems impossible to get the CARB sticker if you’re in California. But…the power/juice is soooo great w/ the MagnaFlow. Haven’t really noticed a change in MPG but it looks good, sounds bad ass and definitely gives you a nice juicy boost. Sounds so good!!

Black on black 2015 SR5 Toytec 3″ lift, UCA’s, BFG all terrains, BMC, wheel spacers, dirty AF.

Jason Jardine
Jason Jardine
October 24, 2019 4:06 pm

Hey Spencer, the power is amazing and sounds mean with the Magnaflow. No comparison to stock. MPG is terrible. Getting about 13.2. 2019 TRD Pro with Revtek 2″ with 33″ Nitto Graplers. Also keep our roof top tent on which certainly is not helping the MPGs…

Danny Merritt
Danny Merritt
May 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Will this Intake work on the 2019 TRD PREM 4RUNNER?!

Jason Hockley
Jason Hockley
March 3, 2019 5:59 pm

very green here but Haven’t been able to confirm if compatible with 2019 trd pro and if factory recommends higher octane fuel post install. Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated

Chuck Graham
Chuck Graham
January 26, 2019 5:07 pm

I wanna get the TRD Pro CAI on my 2015 SR5 but no one I know seems to know how or where to obtain the CARB decal. I tried the website in the thread and she referred me back to the dealer. Now the dealer is telling me they’ve never heard of this before. I’m near SF and have heard that CA will give a visual fail if you don’t have the CARB sticker. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ryan
Ryan
May 15, 2019 11:26 am
Reply to  Chuck Graham

Bump.

If anyone in CA has recently obtained the TRD CAI and CARB sticker (for use with a 2018 4R or similar) please let us know (details appreciated)

Matt
Matt
November 8, 2018 12:55 am

I talked to Gary at the parts Dept. in Roseville Ca. (where I bought my 2019 TRD ORP) and they gave me a part number of PTR03-35160 any idea what the difference is between that and the PTR03-89100?

I see both listed online but of course nothing is listed for a 2019 (yet)

Matt
Matt
November 9, 2018 2:53 am

Sweet so same part number as you wrote, can’t seem to get one shipped to Cali?

Adam
Adam
July 24, 2018 4:25 pm

I have a Magnuson SC on my 2018 TRD Pro would the TRD CAI still link up to the SC or would that be a no go?

Bill
Bill
July 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Just installed CAI on my 2015 Trail Prem after a 3 month +/- wait for delivery. Sounds much better but not obnoxious, seems to have a little more power – less pedal required on interstate inclines. Install was pretty straight forward, just go more by the step-by-step in this website than the instructions that come with the intake. Biggest improvement was the Pedal Commander, which made the 4runner much more responsive. As for MPG, I am used to a constant 18.1 mpg. Haven’t driven far enough yet to get a stable reading but am staying above 18 and am still… Read more »

Brian
Brian
July 12, 2018 2:52 am

Question on CAI’s in general. There are a lot of write ups about the computer compensating for larger CAI’s. Everything from the CAI only work on WOT, their is still a restriction of airflow when you get to the throttle body/intake area, engine will run lean and wear out faster all the way to they only thing they are good for is sound. Thoughts on all those arguments? Are we really wasting time and $ for a great sound and something that looks sexy? I also assume if you eventually go Mag SC, you would remove the CAI, or would… Read more »

Nick
Nick
September 11, 2018 1:59 pm
Reply to  Brian

Brian, the short answer really is…Yes, it’s a waste with an electronic throttle controller…unless you are getting a snorkle

Brian
Brian
September 11, 2018 4:41 pm
Reply to  Nick

Why does the snorkel make a difference ?

Nick
Nick
September 13, 2018 2:17 pm
Reply to  Brian

I should have specified – You won’t see any real HP or MPG gains from a snorkel either, but, You will be able to Ford the River Oregon Trail Style, which is definitely an overall performance enhancement in its own right in my opinion.

Jason Hockley
Jason Hockley
March 3, 2019 10:19 am
Reply to  Brian

Brian
Brian
July 6, 2018 11:47 pm

Man Toyota seems pretty confused on this part. My local dealer looked up the part number and warned me their system says this part is only fitting a 2010/11 FJ and that if I install it on my 2016 SR5 to do it at my own risk blah blah blah. Some other FJs have this issue… I mean I am doing this one or the K&N? I would prefer TRD. Thoughts everyone?

William Tucker
William Tucker
July 8, 2018 12:16 am
Reply to  Brian

I would never trust myself to do any mechanical work, thus I rely on info from people like Brenan, my dealer had same initial response as yours, but they were willing to do the work, they reported no complications, the part fits and performance gains are noticeable

Cole
Cole
July 4, 2018 10:02 pm

Hey Brenan, besides the slight increase in power, do you get any gains or losses in fuel economy?

Also, have you heard of anyone having warranty issues with these when getting their vehicle serviced at dealers? Maybe it has to be a TRD one? I have a 2018 and of course don’t want to do anything detrimental to the warranty.

William Tucker
William Tucker
July 6, 2018 2:25 am

Only had CAI for 500 miles, but mpg has increased by .1, small sample, but I definitely have been more aggressive with acceleration and no mpg losses

William Tucker
William Tucker
May 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Eric I was told by my local dealer, Jay Wolfe in St. Louis, that the part will be available June 20th, 2018 and will be, he says, for the newer 4Runner models and specifically my 18 Off Road.

Eric
Eric
May 17, 2018 2:58 pm
Reply to  William Tucker

Awesome news! I figured that was the reason they have been unavailable. Thanks for confirming that my senses were correct!

William Tucker
William Tucker
June 1, 2018 7:34 pm
Reply to  Eric

Dealer called this morning, air intake arrived early, install next week.

Eric
Eric
May 5, 2018 4:55 am

It seems as though everyone has been out of stock on these for a few months now. Does anyone know when they are expected to available or if this delay is due to an updated version in the making?

hannibal
hannibal
April 28, 2018 2:24 pm

hi I came across this article trying to research the model number for a try cold air intake for a 2014 fj cruiser ( last year made for the US) will this model PTR03-89100 be able to fit my Fj ? thanks in advance for any advice

Zach
Zach
April 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Looking forward to the K&N CAI review! I live in Florida so emissions isn’t a concern (which isn’t necessarily a good thing, but that’s another discussion). Just bought my 1st 4Runner – ’16 SR5 FWD w T-Force – and am seriously considering the K&N intake as my first mod.

Chris B
Chris B
April 24, 2018 12:49 am

I’m very far form a mechanical person. I do have a friend though who is pretty mechanically inclined. When talking to him about this, he said that: “The PCU determines gas and air flow as per the mapping grid thus they call it getting the PCU tuned to allow more air or gas to make more HP.” Essentially, the CIA or exhaust changes really won’t do anything to increase air intake as the computer dictates that. The PCU would need to be reprogrammed or tuned in order to open that up. I likely will change the exhaust either way to… Read more »

Lee Marks
Lee Marks
March 24, 2018 2:00 pm

So as far as sound goes, how does the TRD intake compare to the K&N?
Thanks Lee

pete
pete
February 2, 2018 1:31 am

Brenan,
I share your passions, 4Runners, Nature and photography. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Good luck and may the 4Runner take you places few have gone, to see things few have seen.
Pete

Andre
Andre
January 15, 2018 7:04 pm

New kid on the block. I’m a half step away from purchasing this TRD CAI for my 2015 T4R Trail Premium that I purchased last week, but being able to pass the whole California Smog Emissions thing has held me up as most parts people at dealerships are just pencil pushers and don’t know any different (topic for another thread) here is what my research has led me to. The TRD website or TRDparts4U.com states part number PTR03-89100 is 50 State Legal for 2010-2011 4Runners, the dealerships I’ve contacted can’t find it in their system. I’ve seen a few videos… Read more »

Andre
Andre
January 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Hey Brenan!

Thanks for the advise! I was also thinking about a drop-in K&N filter as another option since that would probably get me nearly half of the horsepower of the TRD CAI for only 50 bucks. HA!

I know the tube must flow better without those noise chambers, but how do you think the carbon filter in the top part of the housing affects air flow? Looking for more justification for this purchase. I know we’re not building a race car here, I’m thinking of efficiency. Speaking of which, have you noticed a difference in your MPG?

Jeremy
Jeremy
January 8, 2018 2:03 am

Will this fit my 2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road if it does where can I purchase one

Jeremy
Jeremy
January 9, 2018 1:51 am

Where can I purchase this TRD cold air intake at and how much does it cost

Walter Jeremy Golding
Walter Jeremy Golding
January 7, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanx bro. I will definitely check out the link. I have another question. It seems the TRD CAI (Cold Air Intake) for 2013 FJ Cruiser is abundant. Can you advise with authority that a 2013 CAI will fit on a 2016 FJ CRUISER? And, does it matter if your steering is right or left?

Walter Jeremy Golding
Walter Jeremy Golding
January 2, 2018 4:55 am

I want to fit the 5 gen cai trd filter to my 2016 FJ cruiser… what must I do to purchase it from your site/or how do I purchase it.. Im despetate to purchase it.. please help.

Robert
Robert
October 17, 2017 4:24 am

The third sentence in this article has the word you and it should be the word your.

Fern
Fern
September 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi – Was able to install this exact TRD CAI on my 2017 TRD Off-Road with a very minor modification. Nice clean install. Runs great!!

Jonathan Sprague
Jonathan Sprague
September 28, 2019 10:48 am

Did the mods needed for 2017 get posted anywhere on your site?

John LaPlume
John LaPlume
July 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Talked to Toyota today, apparently they moved the air pump on the 2017 4Runner so this will not work. Hopefully they will come out with an updated version soon. John…

Benjamin Cox
Benjamin Cox
June 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Are you sure this fits(PTR03-89100) a 2016 4runner looking up the part number it says it it does not fit onto a 2016 4runner.

Angie Kuykendall
Angie Kuykendall
June 11, 2017 2:11 pm

When I go on the TRD website to search for TRD parts for my 2017 4Runner TRD PRO it says the CAI is not an option for 2017?? I am wanting to add this to my vehicle was just curious why its not listed as an option for 2017. Is there a difference between the 2016 and 2017? I would appreciate any info if you have it. Thank you. Your page is awesome!! Keep up the good work.

Matt
Matt
May 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello,

I just installed the same kit on a 2016. The air box doesn’t seem to sit flush with the supplied filter. Filter is the correct part number. With the air box top on, I can see the red of the filter between the base and the top. Is this normal? Doesn’t seem like it. Everything is flush. Seems like the filter side wall is too high. Lid is on tight.

TRD Pro 4runner Grill Swap