5th Gen Mods

5th Gen 4Runner Roof Rack Delete Mod

Last Updated on

Low Profile Bumper and No Roof Rack on 4Runner

Delete/Remove Your Roof Rack on the 5th Gen 4Runner

Have you ever wanted to get rid of the roof rack on your 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner? Maybe you don’t use it, maybe you don’t like the way it looks, something else?

Well, I went ahead and “deleted” the roof, and I’m more than happy I did. What’s the purpose of doing this? Well, that depends on your taste.

I decided that I wasn’t going to use the roof rack for anything important anytime soon and that I’d like the “clean” or “naked” look that’d it have without one.

While it’s not exactly a cheap mod to do, it still isn’t a very expensive one either.

5th Gen 4Runner Sporting The Roof Rack Delete

5th Gen 4Runner Sporting The Roof Rack Delete

Using all Toyota parts, and ordering through an online wholesale, the total to do the roof rack delete on my 2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro was roughly $70 total. To some, that may be steep or extreme for what it does, but for me, I’d do it again.

One of the major differences you’ll notice is the ride being much quieter. Much like anything on the roof, the more things you have, the more it catches the wind, and the louder it will become.

That’s what a lot of aftermarket roof racks come with windshields to help keep the noise down, as well as your MPG. While I haven’t noticed much of a savings and fuel, my phone calls have been much easier to hear.

Here is the complete part list (which I will put below) to help you achieve the delete. The original write-up for this post can be found here on T4R.org.

Replacement Parts:

The whole roof rack delete kit comes with the parts listed. The kit fits Toyota 4Runner 2004 to 2018 and the Rav4 2006 to 2017. The 4 moldings, 4 brackets, and 8 bolts are what you need if you choose to remove your roof rack. The bolts are necessary to securely fasten the roof panel clips for the moldings when the rack is not present. The kit below will include OEM sealed items straight from Toyota.

Finalizing the Roof Rack Delete

You will also want some sort of sealant to help prevent any sort of water squeaking through and coming through your headliner.

I have been in multiple rain storms, car washes, etc, and have not had any issues with water coming through, nor a mildew smell where perhaps it did come through where I couldn’t see.

I used J-B Weld Clear Silicone for my install, as well as put PTFE tape around each bolt I installed.

The install is as simple as popping off a few clips to unbolt the OEM rack, replacing and or adding new seals, tightening them down, and placing the cover on top.

It took me roughly 20 minutes from start to finish to complete.

Thoughts on Removing your Roof Rack?

Some have argued it makes the 4Runner look too “naked,” while others say it makes it no longer look like an off-road vehicle, but I personally like what I feel is a clean look, not to mention the lack of roof noise.

Questions or Comments? Leave them below!

Tanner H
Tanner H
February 16, 2020 11:14 am

Any update now that it’s been a while? No leaking, still like the look?

Wes
Wes
February 16, 2020 11:17 am
Reply to  Tanner H

Still dope, no leaks that I can see. Haven’t seen any evidence of it so far. 4runnermutts and myself, 8S6T4R, on Instagram have it. I’m pretty sure I’ve got pics of it, but I know 4runnermutts does for sure.

Tanner H.
Tanner H.
February 16, 2020 11:19 am
Reply to  Wes

Awesome, gonna give you guys a follow. Thanks man

porsche356a
porsche356a
July 3, 2019 2:12 pm

Are these delete kit parts number applicable to the 2019 TRD Pro? Someone said it’s not the same under the rack as other 4runners. Thanks!

Wes
Wes
July 3, 2019 5:28 pm
Reply to  porsche356a

To be honest I don’t know. My assumption is that they are all the same from one trim to another, but don’t quote me on that. I really can’t imagine between how similar all of the trims are between each other that the placement of the holes are going to be so different from each other.

Lee Williams
Lee Williams
May 13, 2019 8:04 am

It must be becoming popular… everywhere is sold out of the delete parts. I’ll be doing it to mine as well as soon as parts become available again…

Andy
Andy
May 11, 2019 2:35 am

I did this on my FJ as I had to pull the ARB rack off because water was leaking through the roof at the pillars and soaking my headliner. At first, I just did this to give me time to get the rack/rails powder coated since they had rust spots but after driving around with it for some time I enjoyed it so much I ditched the idea of putting it back on and looked to sell the rack. Yes, its annoying not having a roof rack at times but the overall aesthetics are worth it. Why am I talking… Read more »

Wes
Wes
May 7, 2019 9:24 pm

I also did a roof rack delete and really like it. Looking at it on an angle, it looks freaking awesome and I love it. Looking at the straight on, it feels like it skipped upper body day and did double leg day. To me, it feels like there should be something up top to even it out.

That being said, I still like it and enjoy the look of it.

Here’s a link for the one I got on eBay. Works great, installed it myself, $55. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-TOYOTA-2004-2018-4Runner-2006-17-Rav4-ROOF-RACK-REMOVAL-DELETE-KIT-Oem/352552552882?epid=2216179695&hash=item5215c509b2:g:mYQAAOSwFilarxvm

Lucio Bazan
Lucio Bazan
May 24, 2019 4:45 pm
Reply to  Wes

I own a 2019 TRD OFF Road Premium but eBay says the parts don’t fit my truck, you think it should fit?

Wes
Wes
May 24, 2019 5:47 pm
Reply to  Lucio Bazan

Very likely. I would message the seller to confirm. If he/she says yes and it doesn’t, well then they can do what they fee is best.

Amazon often says something won’t work in my 2018 4runner, but I know for sure it does. Those things are not am exact science and they need to be updated as newer versions of the vehicles come out.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x

Rear Hatch Liftgate Pull Strap 5th gen 4runnerOEM Hood, Rock Chip and Bug Protector Install - Install Complete - 5th Gen 4Runner