5th Gen Mods, Accessory Lights, Install, Lighting, Maintenance

Puddle Lights aka the Side Mirror Lights 5th Gen 4Runner

Updated 10/30/20 / Read Time: 5 mins

How to Replace the Side Mirror Lights on 5th Gen 4Runner – Full Overview on the Puddle Lights

The puddle lights aka the side mirror lights on 5th Gen 4Runner are a pretty cool feature if you have them. Not all models come standard with these.

When you unlock your 4Runner, your puddle lights, as well as your dome light and map lights turn on. If you are looking for any of the other light bulb numbers, we wrote a post on that a while back.

When you are in a dark parking lot or out on the trail, it is nice to have bright clear light to shine on the ground. With our factory puddle lights, they will give you light but will not carry as much light output as a set of super bright LED bulbs.

With a set of bright LED bulbs on your side mirrors, you will light up much more ground than your factory bulbs.

If you swap out the factory lights with aftermarket LED lights, you will also have a much better look, overall. Replacing these lights in combination with your license plate lights, reverse lights and interior lights will give you a pretty good looking light set-up.

With the wide variety of lights out there, be careful about what brands of LED bulbs you choose. There are hundreds of options on eBay but I personally wouldn’t recommend much on eBay. What you need to focus on is a company with a reputable brand name, not knock-off brands.

Puddle Lights – T10 Flat Bulbs

Puddle Lights (Side Mirrors): 168/194 (x2 bulbs)

If you are looking to complete the entire 4Runner’s exterior lights with LEDs, please check out the list below.

4Runner Interior Light Kit & Bulbs

Exterior Light Bulb List

• License Plate Light Bulb: 168 (X2 bulbs)
  • Side Marker Light Bulb Front: 168 (x2 bulbs)
  • Puddle Lights (Side Mirrors): 168/194 (x2 bulbs – T10 – T Shape with Flat Bottom)
  • Turn Signal Light Bulb Rear: 7440A (x2 bulbs)
  • Turn Signal Light Bulb Front: 7444NA (x2 bulbs)
  • Parking Light Bulb: 7444NA (x2 bulbs)
  • Back Up/ Reverse Light Bulb: 912/921 (x2 bulbs)

Step #1: Remove Mirror

UPDATE: You do not need to remove the mirror for this install. Please see comments at the bottom of the page.

This whole process is a bit nerve racking but with patience, you will be fine. Start by removing the actual mirror. Grab the outside of the mirror and push out. Once your mirror is pushed out enough, you can grab the whole mirror housing with one hand and then pull the glass off with the other hand. It will pop right off. You won’t break anything here, it just seems pretty sketchy.

Step #2: Pop Tab on Cover

Once you have the actual glass face off, you will need to locate this little white tab. This white tab is holding the other side of the mirror into place. This one tab holds the whole white piece in place.

Step #3: Plastic Pry Tools for Tab

Using your plastic pry tools or a flathead screwdriver, you will need to pop this plastic tab. Once the tab is released, you can wiggle the white housing loose and pull it off.

Step #4: Unscrew Housing

Step #5: Pull Bottom Housing Off

Here is where things get a little interesting. To access the puddle light bulb, you need to remove this lower black housing. There are multiple tabs on the backside of this housing that you need to release. Be patient with this section, as everything in here is very tight. Start by pulling and release tabs all the way around the bottom and top of the black housing. Once everything is semi-loose, you should be able to remove the whole assembly.

Step #6: Twist bulb housing to remove

With the bottom assembly and housing removed, locate the bulb housing. Twist the bulb housing and then pull the light bulb fixture out.

Step #7: Pull out OEM Bulb

Step #8: Swap in New LED Bulb & Test Bulb

Step #9: Run Yellow Wire & Twist Bulb Housing in Place

When you are putting everything back together, just make sure to run this yellow wire back to its original location. If you don’t run this wire back in the original location, you will probably be fine. But, it’s always nice to have things back the way they were.

Lock your light fixture back into the light housing. You are now ready to start putting everything back together.

Step #10: Button Up Housing

Start putting your assembly back together. Just make sure to put your turn signal light into place, before you start snapping down the lower black assembly. If you forget, you will need to pull it off again, and then align the turn signal light into place.

Step #11: Attach Mirror

Line up your tabs and watch everything very close. Make sure everything is lined up before pressing down on your glass plate.

Step #12: Firmly Press Mirror Into Place

Once you have everything lined up, press firmly. Everything should snap into place and your bulb swap is complete!

Overview

This light bulb swap was by far the most difficult of the 4Runner lightbulbs so far. As long as you have patience, you will be fine. The look of the side mirror with LEDs is much better than the OEM bulbs.

If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments below.

Yao Saechao
Yao Saechao
May 13, 2020 11:54 am

Anyone know since my 16 4runner didn’t come with mirror turn signal and I bought a paid what is all the stuff I need in order to install it? Thanks in advance.

RICARDO DESOUZA
RICARDO DESOUZA
January 8, 2020 10:56 am

what kind of bulb does the mirror turn signal lights take 168 or 194? trying to upgrade mine to LED this is for my 2013 sr5 4runner

Mike S
Mike S
January 12, 2020 6:09 pm

Just put the Yokim 168 LED in without a problem. Got 10 on Amazon for cheap.

RICARDO DESOUZA
RICARDO DESOUZA
January 13, 2020 7:33 am
Reply to  Mike S

thanks just ordered them for my SUV. hopefully it will be an easy task to take out the mirror apart LOL

MARTIN CARRASCO
MARTIN CARRASCO
October 25, 2019 10:03 am

Is it possible tp swap the side views with no blinker to ones with a blinker? I have a trail 2016 and they are without blinkers. Is there a adapter preinstalled that will connect to?

Jonathan Tong
Jonathan Tong
July 18, 2019 9:01 pm

you can totally just pop the top off, but be careful.

One small tab broke on each side mirror for me :/

Ken29
Ken29
August 9, 2019 12:59 am
Reply to  Jonathan Tong

Hi is it noticeable once you out it back on?

Steve
Steve
February 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Brenan,

Great info on all the light upgrades! I’m getting ready to place an order as result but I have one question before I do. Why do you recommend using the 168/194 T10 “flat bottom” vs the standard 168 like in the license plate holder? Just curious if I missed something?

Thank you!

Steve

Mike S
Mike S
January 12, 2020 6:06 pm

I got the Yokim 168 LED in there without a problem. Same one I used for license plate, maps, doors, and vanity.

Jared
Jared
January 5, 2019 9:36 pm

swapped all my bulbs including the mirrors using the revised method, pulling the painted shells. totally easy. 90 minutes all told.

Trevor
Trevor
January 1, 2019 6:53 pm

I definitely want to upgrade the side mirror blinker light to LED, but I’d also like to upgrade the puddle lights. Is there is a way to upgrade the side mirror blinker light while I’m upgrading the puddle light.

john
john
November 30, 2019 10:57 pm
Reply to  Trevor

The side mirror blinker is already a LED. Not sure with other t4r trims though but I’m guessing its only LED or nothing. Mines a 14ltd

Levi
Levi
December 9, 2018 8:17 pm

I should have read the comments first. I removed the mirror first. I would give it a zero on the “fun scale” and a 10 on the “nerve racking scale”. After that it was pretty easy and the results are awesome. There are 4 clips that hold each mirror onto the white base. I ended up breaking 2 of the clips on one mirror and 1 of the clips on the other. Both mirrors are completely functional. I think my biggest mistake was doing this in winter and out-doors. the plastic was cold and brittle. Definitely heat up the plastic… Read more »

Peter
Peter
November 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Recently got a 2019 TRD Pro, which doesn’t come with puddle lights or turn signals on the side mirrors. I’m sure I can order them easily, just wondering how difficult it would be to get the signals & lights to work properly?

Andres
Andres
October 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Great posts and overall an awesome website. I did change the puddle lights and the painted side mirror cap comes off pretty easily by pulling it carefully, so you don’t really need to remove the mirror itself.

Thank you!

Matthew
Matthew
July 6, 2018 6:17 pm

Hey Brenan, Great post! (as always)
I see this post was written in Jan of this year, how are these bulbs holding up ?

David
David
April 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Just a tip….you do not have to remove the glass portion of the mirror. I had success pulling on the cap with both of my hands and it came right off. Just pull from the left bottom corner.

Charlie Nguyen
Charlie Nguyen
June 17, 2018 2:12 am

Which way would you guys pull the tabs?

Chad
Chad
May 8, 2018 1:50 am
Reply to  David

David was correct. You don’t have to remove the mirror or mess with the white tab. Simply pop off the painted outer cap, then unscrew the two screws, and follow the rest of the instructions as written.

RICARDO DESOUZA
RICARDO DESOUZA
January 13, 2020 9:59 am
Reply to  David

if im facing the mirror looking at the back of my mirrors to take it off which is the left side recommended? i just want to make sure i do this right without breaking anything. i even bought those plastic tool removing kit so i can do this right. thanks in advance.