5th Gen Mods, Accessories, Install, Off-Road

Toytec Level Kit 5th Gen 4Runner

Last Updated on

Front Leveling Kit for 5th Gen 4Runner

4Runner Level Kit Vs. No Level Kit Comparison

4Runner Toytec leveling Kit Vs. Stock Stance on the 5th Gen 4Runner

The 4Runner on the right is a 2014 TE (Trail Edition) KDSS and the 4Runner on the left is a 5th Gen 2016 SR5. They would look almost identical if they were both stock OEM off the lot.

The 4Runner on the right has a Toytec 2.5″ (Tac2.5), leveling kit on the front and a Daystar 1.5″ rear spacer. The SR5 on the left is stock for now but awaiting its Pro Comp leveling kit to be installed here in the next couple weeks.

Remember, 1.5″ is exactly level in the front. If you are looking for a front leveling kit only, you would want a 1.5″ leveling kit. We also put together a good overview on leveling kits so if you want to read about the different types of kits and other options, check that article out.

Also, I think Toytec discontinued their leveling kit because all of their links stopped working and it kept saying out of stock. The Revtek is a very comparable option. Check out the front option only, below.

Front & Rear Leveling Kit Options

After the Pro Comp leveling kit is installed on the SR5, we will remove the Toytec 2.5″ leveling kit on the trail edition and replace it with an Icon Stage 2. We decided to purchase the Icon stage 2 over the Icon stage 1 because of the extended travel coilovers. If you have not seen that suspension, you should check it out.

OEM Stance on the 5th Gen 2016 SR5 4Runner

As for the stance, look, feel and drive of the stock 5th Gen 2016 SR5 4Runner, I was not impressed. After driving around for a couple of days in the stock SR5 4Runner, I found myself constantly annoyed.

From massive body roll to a loosey-goosey steering wheel to horrible nose dive, the stock suspension on the SR5 is no good. This may sound like I hate the stock SR5, I don’t. The problem is going from a 4Runner with KDSS suspension to a stock SR5 4Runner with no upgraded suspension parts.

The stock SR5 was in need of something bad, which is why we just bought a set of aftermarket wheels, tires, and a Pro Comp Level Kit. This is not going to help the body roll, nose dive or cornering but at least its a mod. For the sake of the blog we wanted to do a step by step install on the leveling kit. After we install the leveling kit, we will install new coilovers, upgraded rear springs, and Upper Control Arms (UCAs). This will then help with the body roll, more stable braking and better on-road/ off-road performance.

With that being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a leveling kit, you just don’t see the same benefits as you would with an upgraded suspension system.

The Toytec 2.5″ Level Kit

TAC25 2.5" Front Spacer Kit 5th Gen 4Runner

Here is the best part, the Toytec 2.5″ leveling kit is less than $200. At that price, you really can’t go wrong. It is a very simple level kit and a simple install process. We do not have the step by step install on this kit but we should have another one coming up soon so stay tuned. We will keep you informed on other level kit installs.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to comment below and we will reply asap!

Anthony
Anthony
November 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Do you happen to know how high you can lift a Toyota 4Runner before it voids the extended 100k warranty?

Gene Clot
Gene Clot
September 19, 2019 4:52 pm

I just bought a 2019 TRD off road Premium and defiantly need it leveled, not looking to go but the next size up on the tires, what front spacers do you recommend to level this vehicle out.

Eric D
Eric D
May 9, 2019 4:59 am

Thank you. Much appreciated information as this is my first mod and I want to keep it simple. I’ll stick to the 275’s.

Eric D
Eric D
May 8, 2019 5:38 pm

Very helpful site.
I’ve read through comments so far but didn’t find exactly what I’m hoping to find out.
I’m installing the Daystar 2.5″ front/1.5″ rear lift kit (part # KT09134BK) on my 2017 4runner SR5.
I want to know if I can put 285/70/17 (32.7″) or 285/65/18 (32.6″) tires without running into rubbing issues.

Nick
Nick
January 14, 2019 10:10 am

Great info and website! I just picked up a 2019 SR5 premium with the XP Gunner package on it (it has 275/55/20 Nitto Grappler G2’s on it). I measured out the factory stance and my rear end is nearly 2.75″ taller than my front end. Would the 1.5″ spacer kit be undersized to level that? Almost seems like I need a 2″ kit to even it up? I don’t mind there being a bit of forward rake but getting on three inches is playing havoc with my OCD! While the install doesn’t look particularly difficult, is this something that most… Read more »

Chris
Chris
December 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Brenan – You have a ton of great information here, so thanks! I am in the market for a 2019 Limited. It will primarily be a mall crawler with the occasional off-road adventures once every few months, so i prefer the creature comforts of the Limited. However, i would like to at least level, if not slightly lift it. The only option that I can find that is compatible with the XREAS suspension on the Limited is Revtek’s 432X kit for a 3″ front and 2″ rear lift. Toytec has a leveling kit (FJ3-RSP), but for whatever reason, they do… Read more »

Dean
Dean
December 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Question- Just upgraded my 2016 SR5 with a new suspension
– 3” Lift
– Bilstein 6112 Coilover/5100 Rear Shocks
– 2” OME Rear Spring
– 285/70/R17 KO2s

My issue, it’s not level…exactly 2” difference in height from rear to front (rake).

Can I add a front only leveling kit to this set up…if yes shoul it be a 2” or 1.5” kit?

Thanks in advance…love this website and it has helped out 100% in this modification process.

Dean

Dean
Dean
December 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Yes. Front end is 2” lower.

…shop is reviewing notes and will pull it apart over the holiday. Hopefully this is the issue…the shop says, that it was set on the highest level clip setting during the initial install, but it doesn’t make sense to me…after reading your lift/level section dozens of times- it should be level or 0.5” lower in the front compared to rear – not 2”.

…and the new Old Man Emu rear springs are probably not the causing the difference?

Thanks for the advice/insight!

Dean
Dean
December 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Talked to mechanic today…he set drivers side front at max height (C-clamp all the way up) and passangers side front C-clamp in the second groove from the top (according to Toyota, drivers side weight is heavier than passanger side). With those setting on the C-clamps, drivers side is sitting 0.25” LOWER than passanger side…and entire front end is 2” lower than rear end. He thinks it’s the 2” OME spring (hardness/stiffness) causing the difference…but not 100% sure…I suggested putting rear stock springs back on…but he said that could set front end higher than rear…any thoughts? He doesn’t think there is… Read more »

Kiem
Kiem
October 26, 2018 3:14 pm

I just ordered a set of 6112/5100 for my ’16 SR5. My original plan is to raise the front by .85″ and keep the rear as is. I kept thinking, should I do a minimal lift in the rear by getting the coils between 1,1.5, or 2″ – there are few options out there. This is my DD rig and it’s an upgrade from a previous minivan. I wonder if it makes any difference in ride quality if I keep the stock spring, or go for new coil with the Bilstein 5100 on the rear.

Kiem
Kiem
October 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Brenan, I’ll keep the spring as is. Great website you have here. I accidentally discovered this when I googled for the recommended spots for Hope Valley photography, coincidentally found out you live in the area and has a passion for the 4Runner.

Greg
Greg
October 20, 2018 6:18 am

What about 285s with a Daystar 2.5/1.5 level kit? i have a limited, I didn’t want to rip out the xreas so i used that level kit. I ran 275/70/17 and they’re worn now, but im having 285 FOMO and i simply can’t get a good feel for if i’d have to get BMC done (which i’m not super interested in). Any thoughts

Pat
Pat
May 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Just bought 2018 sr5 was thinking of of doing leveling kit but does does this effect the factory warranty in any way. Excellent site very informative.

D. Schmidt
D. Schmidt
May 2, 2018 2:52 pm

Do you still recommend the diff drop if you only install the 1.5” levelling blocks in the front?

D. Schmidt
D. Schmidt
May 2, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks man! It’s my family wagon so I don’t really wanna lift it just yet…but that rake has to go!

Steven
Steven
April 30, 2018 8:11 am

I am planning to purchase the revtek 415 1.5″ front leveling kit. I want to upgrade my tires also too, (BF Goodrich KO2 285/70/17). Will they rub or do I have to do any other further modifications for it after installing the leveling kit ? I have a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium with KDSS. Also upgraded to the TRD Pro wheels.

Thanks Brenan

Camilo
Camilo
April 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Hey, I just bought a 2018 SR5 4runner too and I´m planing to get some MT sidebiter|| wheels and Lt275/70R17 deegan 38 AT tires but someone told me it´s going to rub the front fender when I turn, do you think that a 1.5″ in the front would help with this? I wanted to get a front and rear one but reading this made me wonder if just the front one would do the work and still look good. Thanks and great work on the website, love it. I was
Thanks, Brenan

Jacob Murray
Jacob Murray
March 22, 2018 8:00 pm

I just bought a 2018 SR5 4runner and am completely new to all of the different mods that I can do to them. Love the website by the way, it really gives me a lot of ideas. My first question is, i want to get a leveling kit for the front. Mainly to make it look more aggressive and get rid of the rake. I was curious though, if I did a 2″ or the 2.5″ would my stock wheels and tires look weird? I am saving up for the replacements but seeing as I JUST bought it and wanted… Read more »

Brad Miglio
Brad Miglio
July 5, 2018 1:32 am
Reply to  Jacob Murray

I’m in a similar position as Jacob Murray. I have a 17 TRD Pro and looking for a little more aggressive look while maintaining the stock components (TRD shocks/suspension) as well as the TRD wheels/tire package. I believe they are a 265/70/17 by memory. How would the wheels and tires look on their with just the 2.5/1.5 leveling kit as shown in the above article? Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike41
Mike41
January 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Reply to  Jacob Murray

I’m getting a rev tek 1.5 inch level kit. What size tire can I run on a 2015 trail 4 runner with the stock wheels ?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x

TRD Oil Cap - Toyota 4Runner